Lender Participation and Eligibility
The BCF’s mission is to provide access to capital to NMSDC certified minority business enterprises. This is accomplished in-part through the BCF’s Loan Participation Program (LPP) in which the BCF participates in a major portion of loans made by the MBE’s bank.
The total amount of a LPP loan is determined by the lender; however the BCF’s maximum exposure may not exceed $1,125,000 in a participation loan. The lender must retain a minimum of 25% of the amount of the loan facility. A wide range of debt financing products are available, including contract/purchase order financing, working capital, inventory, intermediate term, and equipment loans.
The BCF’s participation reduces the lender’s risk and often enables a loan to be made that would otherwise be denied based on the lender’s normal underwriting standards. Since its formation in 1987, more than 150 lenders have made loans under the LPP.
Benefits to lenders participating in the BCF LPP include the following:
- Use of lenders forms, loan documents, and security instruments
- Opportunity to increase IRR on the loan transaction
- BCF becomes an additional resource to meet customer needs
- Opportunity for cross-marketing of products and services
- Opportunity to obtain new customers from BCF referrals
- No minimum loan amount required
- The participation portion of the loan is protected by the credit strength of the BCF
- User friendly program that involves less paperwork than government loan programs
- Affords opportunity to support community and minority business development.
- May help satisfy lenders’ Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) requirements
Any Federal or state chartered bank, Savings and Loan Association, credit union, or insurance company subject to government examination and regulation, and in good standing is eligible to participate as a lender in the BCF LPP. Other lenders with commercial loan experience and sound financial strength may also be acceptable.
Commercial lenders can learn more about the BCF and how to participate by contacting:
Senior Vice President and Chief Lending Officer
Business Consortium Fund, Inc.
575 Lexington Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022